This meaty, curry-spiced chili first appeared in the “Eat This” column in the February 1992 issue of Sassy magazine as a recipe courtesy of Weasel, a character from the comic strip “Guy Stuff” by Jim Ryan. It first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2014 SAVEUR 100 issue with the article Sassy Magazine’s “Eat This”.
Get seasonal recipes, methods and techniques sent right to your inbox—sign up here to receive Saveur newsletters. And don’t forget to follow us on Instagram at @SaveurMag.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup dark chile powder
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (16-oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, stirring and breaking up meat into small pieces, until browned, 5–7 minutes. Add chile and curry powders, garlic, 3⁄4 the onion, and the bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 8–10 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili is thick, about 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro and ladle chili into bowls; garnish with remaining onion, plus cilantro, cheese, and sour cream.