Kill City Chili
This meaty, curry-spiced chili first appeared in the “Eat This” column in the February 1992 issue of Sassy magazine as a recipe courtesy of Weasel, a character from the comic strip “Guy Stuff” by Jim Ryan. It first appeared in our Jan/Feb 2014 SAVEUR 100 issue with the article Sassy Magazine’s “Eat This”.
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lb. ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup dark chile powder
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. curry powder
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2 (16-oz.) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28-oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef; cook, stirring and breaking up meat into small pieces, until browned, 5–7 minutes. Add chile and curry powders, garlic, 3⁄4 the onion, and the bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, 8–10 minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, until chili is thick, about 30 minutes. Stir in cilantro and ladle chili into bowls; garnish with remaining onion, plus cilantro, cheese, and sour cream.