LeRuth’s Red Shrimp Rémoulade
Spicy paprika and whole-grain mustard sauce coats plump shrimp in this classic New Orleans red rémoulade from the late chef Warren Leruth. This recipe first appeared in our April 2014 issue with Keith Pandolfi’s story Special Sauce.
- 3⁄4 cup Creole mustard
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 cup cottonseed, corn, or canola oil
- 2 lb. medium cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 tbsp. minced parsley, plus more
- 2 inner stalks celery, minced
- 1⁄2 small yellow onion, minced
- Tabasco hot sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 head red leaf lettuce, leaves torn
- Whisk mustard, paprika, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Slowly drizzle in oil until sauce is emulsified; stir in shrimp, parsley, celery, onion, and Tabasco. Serve immediately or chill overnight if you like. Divide lettuce between plates; top with shrimp and garnish with parsley.