Les Navettes de Saint Victor (Shuttle Cookies)
Les Navettes de Saint Victor, boat-shaped, orange-blossom-scented sugar cookies, are a signature Marseillais treat.
Yield: makes 16 cookies
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. orange blossom water
- 1⁄8 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- Heat oven to 350°. Using an electric hand mixer, beat sugar, butter, orange blossom water, salt, and eggs until fluffy, 1–2 minutes. With the motor running, slowly add flour until a stiff dough forms. Transfer dough to a work surface and knead briefly until smooth. Divide dough into sixteen 1¾-oz. pieces.
- Working with one piece dough at a time, and using hands, roll dough into a 6″ log about ½″ thick.
- Flatten the ends of the dough.
- Transfer log to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Using a knife, cut a ¼″-deep slit lengthwise in top of log beginning and ending about ¼″ from each end.
- Using fingers, splay dough open slightly. Bake until pale golden and slightly crisp, about 20 minutes. Let cookies cool completely before serving.