A decadent mixture of Gruyère, garlic, wine, and kirsch is scooped onto bread rounds and fried to perfection—golden outside, gooey inside—in these classic Swiss cheese fritters. Our version is adapted from the ones writer Savita Iyer ate at Au Coeur de la Côte in Vinzel, Switzerland. Check out 35 more gloriously cheesy recipes from around the world.
Featured in: "Pleasure Dome."
- 6 slices white Pullman bread
- 1 lb. Gruyère cheese, coarsely grated
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. kirsch (cherry brandy)
- Vegetable oil, for frying