Avocado and Apple “Tartare” with Fried Walnut Dumplings and Chive Cream
Tart apple and cold avocado balance hot, crisp walnut dumplings and creamy chive sauce in this refreshing vegan starter.
Yield: serves 4
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallots
- 2 tbsp. thinly sliced lemon balm or tarragon
- 1 tbsp. walnut oil
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1/2 lime
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup soy or coconut yogurt
- 2 tbsp. chopped chives
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup whole walnuts
- 2 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- 4 sundried tomatoes in oil, removed
- 1 vine-ripe tomato, core and seeds removed
- 12 wonton wrappers
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the avocados with the apples, shallots, lemon balm, walnut oil, and lime zest and juice, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the tartare with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, stir the yogurt with the chives, olive oil, and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the chive cream with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 2 hours.
- In a blender, combine the walnuts with the parsley and both tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Purée until smooth and then scrape into a small bowl. Place 2 teaspoons of the walnut filling in the center of each wonton wrapper and brush the edges of the wonton with water. Fold the wonton around the filling like a candy wrapper and twist the edges to seal the dumplings.
- Pour enough vegetable oil to come 2 inches up the side of a medium saucepan. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side of the pan and heat the oil to 350°. Add the dumplings and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, lift the dumplings from the oil, drain briefly on paper towels, and season with salt.
- To serve, divide the tartare among four plates and then spoon a dollop of the chive cream on the side. Divide the dumplings among the plates and serve while hot.