Calabrian Chicken Wings
Spicy 'nduja, a fresh pork sausage made with Calabrian chili peppers, heats up the brick red marinade—teeming with tart lime juice, ginger, and garlic—for these char-grilled chicken wings from celebrity chef and cookbook author Scott Conant.
Yield: serves 2-4
Time: 1 hours
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup turbinado sugar, such as Sugar in the Raw
- 1 oz. <a href="http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/Nduja---Spicy-Prosciutto-Spread-by-La-Quercia.asp">fresh n'duja sausage</a>, minced
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tsp. <a href="http://www.italydepot.com/tutto-calabria-crushed-hot-chili-peppers-10-2oz/">Calabrian crushed hot chili peppers</a>
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- One 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 lb. chicken wings, tips removed and drumettes and flats separated
- In a medium skillet, heat the turbinado sugar over medium-high, swirling, until it turns to a dark caramel, about 8 minutes. Stir in the n’duja, vinegar, lime juice, fish sauce, chili peppers, salt, chile flakes, garlic, scallion, and ginger, and cook, stirring, until smooth, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the marinade from the heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a 4-qt. saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil over high heat. Place a steaming basket in the bottom of the pot, and place the chicken wings in the basket. Cover and steam the wings until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the wings to a large bowl along with the marinade, and toss to combine.
- Light a grill. Using tongs, transfer the wings from the marinade to the grill, and cook, turning, until the wings are charred on the outside, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a platter and serve while hot.
MORE TO READ
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.
Watermelon Gin Punch with Himalayan Salt
Elegant black tea and botanical flavors round out this pretty party punch.