Of all the local deserts, heavy cake is a mainstay on the Cayman Islands.
Cayman Cassava Cake (Heavy Cake) [Sponsored]
Cayman Cassava Cake (Heavy Cake) Presented By Cayman Islands
- 3 lb. grated cassava
- 2 lb. light brown sugar
- 2 cans coconut milk (14 ounce)
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Cayman Sea Salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. cloves
- 1 stick margarine or butter, melted
- 4 heaping teaspoons cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl add cassava and stir in coconut milk and vanilla. Use a little water to rinse the cans and get all of the coconut milk out. Then add brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Stir well.
- In small covered container add cornstarch and just enough water to dissolve. Shake. Then add to contents already in bowl. Add melted margarine or butter. Stir well.
- Lightly butter glass baking pan and pour in the above mixture in pan. Bake for about an hour or until a firm golden brown is achieved.