The rich flavor of bittersweet chocolate takes center stage in this sorbet from pastry chef Tracy Obolsky of North End Grill. Because it is dairy-free, the chocolate flavor is much more intense than with an ice cream; keep it vegan, or serve it with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups natural cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 9 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with the cocoa powder, salt, vanilla, and 3 3⁄4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and whisk in the chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate syrup into a blender, and purée for 1 minute. Pour the base through a fine sieve into a bowl, and let cool completely. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Pour the chilled base into an ice cream maker, and process according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Scrape the sorbet into an airtight storage container and freeze until set, at least 4 hours.