Citrus Twist Fritters
Perfumed with cardamom and the zests of both orange and lemon, these cookies are deep-fried to a shattering crispness. They make a wonderful, light counterpoint to the heavily-spiced cookies circulating throughout the holidays.
Featured in: 5 Buttery, Spicy Danish Christmas Cookies
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup (2 1/2 oz.) sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cardamom
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 orange
- 2 cups (9 oz.) all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup lightly beaten eggs (about 1 1/2 large)
- 2 tbsp. heavy cream
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat together butter, sugar, cardamom, and zests until fluffy. Add flour, beaten eggs, heavy cream, and salt; beat on low speed until combined. Knead until smooth.
- Flatten dough to a thickness of 1⁄4 inch, and cut into 1-inch-wide strips. Cut strips on the bias into 3-inch-long diamonds, then cut a 1-inch slit in the center of each diamond and thread one end through the hole and out the other side, pulling ends apart to form a knot. Working in batches, fry the pastries in vegetable oil at 350° until golden brown and crisp, 1 1⁄2 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.