American chef Chris Fischer makes this version of a New England clambake on a stovetop, no sand required. Use quahog (hard-shell) clams like topneck or cherrystone: they’re larger and have more liquor—the brine inside shellfish—to flavor the broth.
Featured in: "A Gathering by the Sea."
- 1 lb. small new potatoes
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 oz. hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 lb. topneck clams, scrubbed
- 2 lb. mussels, debearded and scrubbed
- 3 cups loosely packed basil leaves
- Grilled or crusty bread, for serving