Finnish Creamed Spinach With Crumbled Egg Yolks
The author’s creamed spinach is an ultra-fine, silky version of this traditional staple, puréed with parsley leaves for a vivid green color and vermouth for a pop of acidity. For the brightest green color, cool the spinach mixture down fully before puréeing, then reheat. You can eat this dish by the spoonful or use it as a sort of sauce through which to drag meat and vegetables on the plate.
Yield: serves 6
Time: 50 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large Vidalia onion (7 oz.), diced (1½ cups)
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- 3 tbsp. dry white vermouth
- 1 cup Italian parsley leaves
- 2 bunches spinach (1¼ lb.), trimmed and coarsely chopped (3 packed quarts)
- 3⁄4 cup cold heavy cream
- 1⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a small saucepan, add the eggs and enough water to cover by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat, then turn off the heat and let sit 10 minutes. Drain and transfer the eggs to an ice bath to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the eggs and remove the whites (save for another use). Set the yolks aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted, add the onion and ½ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, sweet, and lightly golden at the edges, 7–8 minutes. Add the vermouth, raise the heat to high, and simmer until the liquid is nearly evaporated, 1–2 minutes. Add the parsley, spinach, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and cook, tossing with tongs, until the spinach is wilted and tender at the stem, 6–7 minutes.
- Pour the cold cream into a bowl or storage container large enough to contain the spinach. Using tongs, shake off any excess liquid, then transfer the cooked spinach to the cream. (At this point you can refrigerate the spinach until ready to serve, up to 12 hours.)
- Transfer the spinach mixture and nutmeg to a blender and process to a fine purée. Taste and add more salt or some black pepper as desired. (If the spinach mixture was refrigerated, reheat briefly in a saucepan before serving.)
- Transfer the spinach to a medium serving bowl and crumble the yolks over the top. Serve immediately.