Date Ball Cookies
Dates, pecans, and Rice Krispies make an irresistable cookie that's ready in under half an hour.
Yield: makes about 30 cookies
Time: 25 minutes
- 8 oz. pitted dates
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1⁄2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a food processor, pulse the dates until a chunky paste forms. Scrape the dates into a medium skillet along with the sugar and butter and heat over medium. Cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to bubble, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the Rice Krispies, pecans, vanilla, and cardamom. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- Working quickly while the mixture is warm and with slightly wet hands, pinch off pieces of the date mixture and roll balls into 1-inch balls. Transfer the balls to a bowl with the confectioners’ sugar as you form them, shake to coat evenly, then transfer to a serving platter.