Chef Yves Camdeborde assembles these haute deviled eggs—the whites marinated in soy sauce and pomegranate vinegar—à la minute at his stand-up bar L’Avant Comptoir de la Mer in Paris, but you can make the filling up to a day in advance and keep it refrigerated. Be sure to drain the whites immediately after 15 minutes of marinating so they don’t toughen.
Featured in: The Man Who Changed How Paris Eats
- 6 large eggs, plus 4 yolks
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 cups peanut oil
- 3 tbsp. plus 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz. jumbo lump crabmeat
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. finely diced Granny Smith apple
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. finely diced avocado
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped chives, plus more chive batons, to garnish
- Piment d’Espelette
- Place the whole eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water by 1 inch, then bring to boil. Remove the pan from the heat, cover, and let stand for 8 minutes. Drain the eggs and transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop their cooking. Peel the eggs, then halve lengthwise. Scoop the yolks into a small bowl and set aside. Place the whites in a medium bowl, and pour the vinegar and soy sauce over, stirring gently to combine. Let stand for 15 minutes, then drain and transfer to a plate.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the mustard with the raw egg yolks until smooth. While constantly whisking, very slowly drizzle the peanut oil into the yolks until it emulsifies and thickens into a mayonnaise. Stir in 3 tablespoons lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Spoon 3⁄4 cup of the mayonnaise into the bowl with the reserved cooked yolks and mash and stir until smooth. Set aside the remaining plain mayonnaise.
- In another bowl, combine the crab meat with the apple, avocado, and chives. Stir in the remaining 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon plain mayonnaise until evenly combined, then season with piment d’Espelette.
- Spoon the crab mixture into the cavities of each egg white, then dollop the yolk mayo over the top. Garnish each egg with some chive batons and serve immediately.