Drunken Spaghetti (Spaghetti All’Ubriaco)
Spaghetti gets cooked in red wine in this quick pasta dish that comes together in under half an hour.
Welcome to the Italian city that loves meaty sandwiches, truffles, and drunken spaghetti
What You Will Need
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1⁄8 tsp. red chile flakes
- 1 bottle (750 ml.) sangiovese
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cube beef bouillon
- 2 tsp. finely chopped oregano
- 2 finely chopped parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In a large, high-sided skillet, add the oil, garlic, salt, and chile flakes. Heat over medium-high, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is softened and just beginning to brown, about 3 minutes. Pour in the red wine (stand back as the liquid may splatter) and bring to a rapid boil.
- Meanwhile, season the boiling water generously with salt. Add the spaghetti and cook for 2 minutes.
- Transfer the spaghetti to the pot with the boiling red wine, and add the bouillon and 1 teaspoon of the oregano; cook, stirring occasionally with tongs, until the spaghetti is tender, 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer the pasta to a platter and top with the remaining oregano and the parsley. Serve immediately.