This quick marinara sauce recipe from Peter Reinhart's Perfect Pan Pizza can be used on nearly any type of pizza, such as this Classic Detroit-Style Pizza. It calls for dried herbs, but if you prefer to use fresh, leave them out of the sauce and sprinkle over the pizza as soon as it comes out of the oven. For a less assertive garlic flavor, omit the granulated garlic and lightly sauté 8 pressed garlic cloves in olive oil, then drizzle the garlic oil over the finished pizza.
Reprinted with permission from Perfect Pan Pizza by Peter Reinhart, copyright © 2019. Photographs by Johnny Autry. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Penguin Random House, Inc.
- 1 (28 oz.) can tomato purée
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried marjoram (optional)
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. granulated garlic
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
Continue to Next Story