Akin to Puerto Rican escabeche, roasted, tender vegetables are marinated in a simple sherry vinegar dressing for an easy side dish to grilled fish, roast pork, or tender rib eye steak.
Yield: serves 4
Time: 45 minutes
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Finely chopped chives, to garnish
- Light a grill. In a large bowl, toss the onion slices and whole peppers and eggplant with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Place the vegetables on the grill, and cook, turning as needed, until charred and soft, 15 minutes for the onions, 20 minutes for the peppers, and 30 minutes for the eggplant.
- Place the peppers and eggplant in a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let the vegetables stand for 15 minutes, and then uncover and peel and discard their skins, stems, and the seeds from the peppers.
- Still in the bowl, use your hands to tear the peppers and eggplant into long strips, and then arrange them, alternating, on a platter with onions. Mix the juices left behind in the bowl with the remaining 1⁄4 cup olive oil and the vinegar. Season with salt, and pepper, and then drizzle the dressing over the vegetables. Sprinkle with chives before serving.