Fish Ssäm with Spicy Chile Sauce
Perfect for an interactive summer dinner party, set out dishes of condiments for guest to personalize their own fish and lettuce wraps.
Yield: serves 4
Time: 20 minutes
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. mirin
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. Chinese red chiles in oil
- 1 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. snow peas, trimmed
- 5 tbsp. packed cilantro leaves, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp. packed mint leaves, thinly sliced
- 5 tbsp. packed Thai basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. plus 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. fish sauce
- Juice of 2 limes (about 1/4 cup)
- Four 3-oz. porgy or snapper fillets
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraiche
- 1 head bibb lettuce, cored and separated into leaves
- In a small bowl, whisk the oil with the soy sauce, mirin, ginger, chiles in oil, vinegar, sesame oil, and scallions, and then season the chile sauce with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the snow peas with the cilantro, mint, basil, 4 teaspoons of the olive oil, the fish sauce, and lime juice.
- Light a grill. Season the fish with salt and pepper, and then rub with the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Grill the fish, turning once, until charred on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir the crème fraiche with 2 tablespoons of the chile sauce and place the remaining chile sauce in another bowl. Serve the fish in the lettuce leaves with the crème fraiche sauce and chile sauce on the side.