This spiced, berry-studded cakes make a great breakfast stand-in for coffee cake or gingerbread.
Yield: makes One 8"-square cake
Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, plus more for pan
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, plus more for pan
- 3⁄4 cup Lyle's golden syrup or dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lingonberries or halved cranberries
- Heat oven to 325°. Butter and flour an 8" square baking pan; set aside. Heat butter, golden syrup, and brown sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Add cream and eggs and whisk until smooth; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1½ cups flour, ground ginger, baking soda, and salt; add to syrup mixture and stir until just combined. Toss remaining flour with lingonberries in a small bowl and add to batter; stir to combine. Pour into a baking pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Transfer to rack and let cool.