JB Bernstein, bar manager at Vernick Food & Drink in Philadelphia, celebrates summer with this simple, floral gin cocktail, sweetened with lavender-infused syrup and garnished with lavender dust.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
For the Lavender Syrup and Dust
- 1 cup plus 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. dried lavender
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz. dry gin, preferably Portobello Road
- 3⁄4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 oz. green chartreuse
- 1⁄2 oz. lavender syrup
- 1 egg white
- To make the syrup, combine 1 cup sugar, 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lavender, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high; cook until sugar has dissolved.
- To make the lavender dust, combine remaining sugar, lavender, and a pinch of sea salt in a spice grinder; grind until smooth.
- To make the cocktail, combine gin, juice, chartreuse, syrup, and egg white in a cocktail shaker; shake vigorously, then add ice and shake again. Strain into a coupe glass and garnish with lavender dust.