New Jersey Pork Roll and Caviar Canapés
Take New Jersey pork roll (a.k.a. Taylor ham) to new heights with these upmarket snacks perfect for a cocktail party. If you don’t live in New Jersey, you can buy pork roll here.
- 1 (1-lb.) pork roll
- 1 small Russet potato (about 6 oz.)
- 2 cups canola oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups creme fraiche
- 4 oz. caviar
- 1 small bunch chives, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Slice pork roll into 1⁄4-inch thick slices. Using a 1-inch round cutter, cut rounds out of each slice. Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high and, working in batches, cook the rounds, flipping once, until golden, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, finely dice the potato. Heat the canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high until a deep-fry thermometer reads 350°. Add the potatoes and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Strain over a fine mesh sieve into a saucepan or a heat-proof glass bowl. Transfer potatoes to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and toss with salt.
- To serve, spread each pork roll round with about 1⁄4 teaspoon of crème fraîche. Top with caviar and crispy potatoes and garnish with a chive.