“Filipinos love anything with adobo sauce, and kangkong is one of my favorite vegetables to eat.” – Leah Cohen of Pig & Khao
Featured in: A Feast for Filipinos
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 2⁄3 cup coconut milk
- 1⁄3 cup coconut vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves, finely ground
- 5 cloves garlic (2 smashed, 3 thinly sliced)
- 1 bunch morning glory or spinach, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Combine soy sauce, coconut milk, vinegar, 1 tbsp. oil, sugar, pepper, bay leaf powder, smashed garlic, and 2⁄3 cup water in a small saucepan over high; boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Cool.
- Heat remaining oil in a wok over high; cook sliced garlic until golden, 1 minute. Add morning glory stems and cook 2 minutes. Add reserved sauce and morning glory leaves and cook until the leaves wilt, 1 minute more.