The key to great pikliz, a spicy slaw made with cabbage and other vegetables, is time. The longer the sturdy, crunchy vegetables soak up the vinegar and citrus, the better. Serve it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on everything from eggs to steak.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 habaneros, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 head cabbage, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.