What You Will Need
Raw Oysters with Lemon Oil and Urfa Biber
These raw oysters are simply dressed with lemon, olive oil, and urfa biber chile flakes.
Yield: makes 1 Dozen
Time: 35 minutes
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 dozen medium-large, briny oysters
- Urfa biber (urfa pepper)
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove the lemon zest in strips; reserve the lemon and zest.
- In a small saucepan, add the olive oil; heat over medium-high heat until hot, about 3 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and add the strips of zest (they will sizzle); stir briefly to incorporate.
- Pour the lemon oil into a small bowl and let cool.
- Shuck the oysters and, using an oyster knife, detach the meat from the bottom of the shell, reserving the liquid.
- Place the oysters on a bed of coarse sea salt or crushed ice to stabilize them. Top each with a little of the prepared lemon oil (about ⅛ teaspoon) and a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Sprinkle generously with urfa biber and serve immediately.