Broccoli with Crispy Bread Crumbs and Pumpkin Seeds
A creamy purée and crunchy topping make this 30-minute dish a more-than-worthy addition to your weeknight repertoire.
This recipe is brought to you by SAVEUR Cookbook Club, our passionate community of food-loving readers from around the globe celebrating our favorite authors and recipes. Join us as we cook through cookbooks new and old, and share your food pics and vids on social media with the hashtags #SAVEURCookbookClub and #EatTheWorld.
Vegetables are far too often an afterthought when it comes to weeknight dinners. Playing second fiddle to the meat and starch, they’re like an addendum that makes the meal legal. But celebrated British cookbook author Nigel Slater aims to change that with this fast, unfussy take on broccoli, which turns the oft-maligned veg into a main course with wonderful complexity in flavor and texture. It calls for just a handful of ingredients to boot.
- ½ cup dried bread crumbs
- ¼ cup plus 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for serving
- ½ cup packed fresh parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock (optional)
- 2 lbs. broccoli (4 heads), trimmed, cut into large florets, stalks sliced into ¼-in. coins
Reprinted with permission from A Cook's Book: The Essential Nigel Slater by Nigel Slater, copyright © 2023. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House.