Fans of the classic Caesar salad will find much to love in this simple but elegant French version from Paris chef Alexia Duchêne. The recipe is adapted from one in her cookbook, La Cuisine D’Alexia: Mes Recettes & Conseils Pour Cuisiner Comme une Cheffe à La Maison. Look for soft and dainty little gem lettuce, or substitute hearts of romaine or butter lettuce.
Featured in "The 26-Year-Old Chef Leading a New Wave of French Cuisine."
- 1⁄4 cup plus 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 heads little gem lettuce (about 1 lb.), halved lengthwise
- Kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets, finely minced (1 Tbsp.)
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. fresh chervil, picked and coarsely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper