Devised by Castilian shepherds seeking warmth on cold winter nights, sopa de ajo, or garlic soup, is said to awaken dulled senses. Touted as a hangover cure, this comforting and aromatic soup is adapted from one by Spanish chef José Andrés. For more ways to ward off the chill, check out our best soup recipes.
Featured in: "Feed a Fever."
- 1⁄4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 oz. country bread, torn into ½-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp. pimentón (smoked paprika)
- 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped Italian parsley leaves, for garnish