Romero and Julieta
Danny Sanchez of Rancho Pescadero in Mexico gave us the recipe for this vibrant, summery cocktail in honor of our 21st birthday. He starts with a tea made from dried hibiscus, then adds tequila, a rosemary-infused simple syrup, and lime juice.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
For the Hibiscus Tea and Rosemary Syrup
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 oz. dried hibiscus flowers
For the Cocktail
- 3 oz. hibiscus tea
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. rosemary syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 sprig rosemary, for garnish
- To make the rosemary syrup, combine sugar, rosemary, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool, then strain.
- To make the tea, bring hibiscus and 1 cup water to a boil over high heat in a small saucepan; cook 3 minutes, then let cool before straining.
- To make the cocktail, combine tea, tequila, syrup, lime juice, and 1⁄2 cup water in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; shake vigorously, then strain into a highball glass filled with ice. Garnish with a rosemary sprig.