Shaved Fennel with Pecorino
(Finocchio e Pecorino)
At Barbuto, chef Jonathan Waxman serves variations of this salad on his menu throughout the year using other vegetables-for instance, asparagus in the spring and zucchini in the summer.
- 2 medium bulbs fennel, trimmed and reserve
- 6 sprigs feathery fronds
- 5 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 Tbsp. crumbled thinly slice pecorino romano
- Sea salt
- Using a mandoline or a very sharp knife, very thinly slice fennel bulbs crosswise. Soak fennel in a large bowl of ice water for 30 minutes. Drain, then dry thoroughly, preferably in a salad spinner.
- Put fennel into another bowl and add oil and pecorino romano. Chop fennel fronds and add to bowl. Season to taste with sea salt and toss well with your hands. Transfer salad to a serving platter.