This tangy salad from chef Dan Holzman and cookbook author Matt Rodbard was inspired by a trip to Lu Wei Shabu Shabu, a hidden gem of a restaurant in Flushing, Queens, the epicenter for Chinese cooking in New York City. This lightly pickled salad makes for perfect drinking food, as smashed cucumbers soak up a spicy marinade of rice vinegar, chile flakes, and mouth-numbing Sichuan peppercorns.
Featured in: "In Search of Stinky Hot Pot and Serious Pickles."
- 2 large hot house cucumbers (1½ lbs.)
- 3 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cups vegetable oil
- 5 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 tsp. Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Continue to Next Story