Ssamjang (Korean Barbecue Paste)
While this thick, spicy-sweet paste—a combination of doenjang and gochujang—is primarily used to glaze barbecued meats or as a condiment for lettuce wraps, it can also be a dip for cold vegetables like carrots, cucumber, or Korean peppers. The inclusion of walnuts is chef Hooni Kim’s personal touch, which adds earthiness and gives the sauce more texture.
- 5 tbsp. doenjang (Korean fermented soybean paste)
- 3 1⁄2 tbsp. gochujang (Korean red chile paste)
- 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. rice syrup or corn syrup
- 1 tbsp. minced white onion
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. sliced scallion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- In a medium bowl, add all the ingredients; whisk until well combined. Use the sauce immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 1 month.