Created by bartender-author Derek Brown of Washington D.C.’s lauded Columbia Room, this smoky tea-based cocktail proves that a drink doesn’t have to have alcohol to pack an aromatic punch. Brown calls out the use of strongly-brewed lapsang souchong tea, which can be used reliably as a nonalcoholic aromatic base. Vanilla extract and ginger offer sugar and spice, while the egg white is whipped up for texture.
- One 3-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 egg white
- 2 oz. strongly brewed smoked black tea, such as lapsang souchong, cooled to room temperature
- 1⁄3 oz. ginger syrup
- 3 drops alcohol-free vanilla extract, such as Heilala
- 3 dashes non-alcoholic bitters, such as Stirrings
- One 2-inch strip of orange peel, for garnish