Sweet, fresh blueberries are complemented by a generous hit of fresh lemon zest in this quintessential muffin recipe. Overmixing the batter will result in a tough muffin, so stir only until most of the flour is moistened.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 12 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gently toss in the blueberries. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup sugar, the milk, butter, eggs, and lemon zest to combine, then pour the liquids into the flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups and sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake until golden brown, 18-24 minutes.