Instead of the usual mashed potatoes, a buttery parsnip purée—sweetened with apples—is a fine accompaniment to duck or turkey.
Yield: serves serves 6 to 8
Time: 50 minutes
- 2½ lb. parsnips (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1½ lb. russet potatoes (peeled and coarsely chopped)
- 1 lb. apples (peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped)
- 6 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup water
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- To a medium pot, add 2½ pounds parsnips (peeled and coarsely chopped), 1½ pounds russet potatoes (peeled and coarsely chopped), 1 pound apples (peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped), 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, and ½ cup water. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until everything is very soft, 45–50 minutes. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, then use a potato masher or an immersion blender to mash the vegetables with their cooking liquid. Drizzle with melted butter before serving.