This strawberries with wine recipe from chef José Andrés makes the perfect end to an evening of grilling. Red wine is reduced with spices and bright citrus zest, then drizzled over fresh strawberries, ice cream, and grilled bread to make this simple, delicious dessert.
Featured in, "Menu: Chef José Andrés' Fourth of July."
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (¾-in. thick) slices white country bread
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Mint leaves, for garnish