Strawberries with Wine
Red wine is reduced with spices and bright citrus zest and then drizzled over fresh strawberries, ice cream, and grilled bread in this delicious, simple dessert.
Featured in: Menu: Chef José Andrés’ Fourth of July
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- ml Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices white country bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- In a medium saucepan, stir the wine with the sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon, both zests, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until reduced to 1⁄3 cup, about 30 minutes. Pour the sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl and keep warm.
- Light a grill. Brush the bread with the olive oil, and then grill, turning once, until charred on both sides, 5 to 7 minutes.
- To serve, divide the toast between 4 plates and top each with a scoop of ice cream and some of the strawberries. Drizzle the wine syrup over the berries, and garnish with mint.