Strawberries with Wine
Drizzle a bright, aromatic citrus and spice red wine-reduction over fresh strawberries, ice cream, and grilled bread for an easy, elegant summer dessert.
Yield: serves 4
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- ml Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices white country bread, sliced 3/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Mint leaves, to garnish
- In a medium saucepan, stir the wine with the sugar, bay leaf, cinnamon, both zests, and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until reduced to 1⁄3 cup, about 30 minutes. Pour the sauce through a fine sieve into a bowl and keep warm.
- Light a grill. Brush the bread with the olive oil, and then grill, turning once, until charred on both sides, 5 to 7 minutes.
- To serve, divide the toast between 4 plates and top each with a scoop of ice cream and some of the strawberries. Drizzle the wine syrup over the berries, and garnish with mint.