These glittering almond squares make a fantastic Christmas cookie on their own, but sandwiched with raspberry jam, they’re even better.
Featured in: 5 Buttery, Spicy Danish Christmas Cookies
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup (5 oz.) plus 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 cups (1 lb. 2 oz.) all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 egg, beat with 1 tbsp water, for brushing
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- Heat the oven to 350°. Using a hand mixer on medium speed, beat together butter and 2⁄3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add flour and salt and beat on low speed until combined. Scrape the dough onto a floured work surface and flatten with a rolling pin into a 13-by-10 1⁄2-inch rectangle. Brush with some egg wash and sprinkle almonds and remaining sugar. Cut into 2-by-1 3⁄4-inch rectangles, transfer to baking sheets, and bake until golden on the bottom, about 15 minutes.