Nutty, sweet almonds are used four ways in this delicate frozen dessert.
Yield: serves 4-6
Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup slivered, blanched almonds, toasted
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup canned almond paste
- 1⁄2 tsp. almond extract
- Pomegranate seeds and toasted sliced almonds, to garnish
- In a blender, combine the milk with the slivered almonds, sugar, almond paste, and almond extract and purée until smooth. Pour the almond milk into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, cover the dish with plastic wrap, and place in the freezer.
- Using the tines of a fork, stir the mixture every 30 minutes, scraping edges and breaking up any ice chunks as the mixture freezes, until the granita is slushy and frozen, about 3 hours. Scoop the granite into chilled serving glasses and garnish with pomegranate seeds and sliced almonds.