Austrian-Style Steak with Potato Salad
(Zwiebelrostbraten mit Kartoffelsalat)
This recipe, based on one in Das Neue Österreichische Kochbuch (Zabert Sandmann, 1996) by Karl and Rudolf Obauer, is an updated version of an Austrian classic. We like to pair it with potato salad dressed with pumpkin seed oil.
- 3 lb. small red new potatoes
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seed oil
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola oil
- 2 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 medium yellow onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 lb. beef top round, cut into 8 equal pieces
- 1⁄4 cup dijon mustard
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp. cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- Thinly sliced flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Put potatoes into a pot; cover with salted water by 2″. Boil; reduce heat; simmer until tender, 14–15 minutes. Drain; cool slightly. Peel potatoes and break in half; transfer to a bowl. Add cider vinegar, pumpkin seed oil, 1⁄4 cup warm water, shallots, and salt and pepper. Toss gently; cover and set aside.
- Pour canola oil into a pot to a depth of 2″; heat over medium-high heat to 350°. Put 1 cup flour into a bowl. Toss a handful of onions in flour and shake off excess; fry until golden, 3–4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel–lined plate; season with salt. Repeat with remaining onions.
- Working with 1 piece of beef at a time, pound it between 2 pieces of plastic wrap with a meat mallet until 1⁄4″ thick. Put 1 cup flour in a shallow dish. Season beef with salt and pepper; coat only one side of each piece with 1⁄2 tbsp. mustard. Dredge mustard side in flour; shake off excess; transfer to plates.
- Heat 3 tbsp. canola oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the beef; cook, turning once, until browned, 4–5 minutes. Transfer to a plate; keep warm. Clean out skillet; repeat with another 3 tbsp. canola oil and remaining beef. Return skillet to medium heat; whisk in remaining flour; cook for 30 seconds. Whisk in broth; cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; whisk in butter 1 piece at a time. To make smooth, strain sauce into a bowl. Stir in balsamic vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Serve steaks with sauce and onions alongside the potato salad garnished with parsley.