Unusual in its use of white wine with red meat, this bistro basic is a specialty at Chez Clovis, which gave us this recipe.
Boeuf aux Carottes (Beef with Carrots)
Unusual in its use of white wine with red meat, this bistro basic is a specialty at Chez Clovis.
Yield: serves 6
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 3 lb. beef shoulder with bone, cut into pieces
- 2 (2″) thick pieces veal shank
- ½ lb. slab bacon, cut into 6 chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 (750-ml) bottle dry white wine
- 2 lb. carrots, peeled and sliced on the bias
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored
- 1 head garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- 1 small branch fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Heat oil in a large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Brown beef, then transfer to a large bowl. Brown veal and bacon, then return beef and juices to pot.
- Add onions to pot with browned meat and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add wine, carrots, tomatoes, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, and 4 cups water. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Tightly cover pot and place in oven. Cook until meat is very tender when pierced with a fork, 3-4 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.