Beet Ice Cream with Mascarpone, Orange Zest, and Poppy Seeds
Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams in Columbus, OH has some of the most amazing flavors around, but they all start with one simple base. In this recipe, which first appeared in SAVEUR Issue #140 along with Molly O’Neill’s story Here’s the Scoop, the addition of roasted beets and poppy seeds lends the end product a festive hue and a bit of crunch.
- 2 cups milk
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- Peel of 1 orange
- 3 tbsp. mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup puréed roasted beets
- 2 tbsp. poppy seeds
- In a bowl, stir together 1⁄4 cup milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside. In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the cream, sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add orange peel. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Place mascarpone cheese in a bowl and pour in 1⁄4 cup hot milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining milk mixture; stir in beets. Pour mixture into a plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled.
- Remove orange peel. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker; process according to manufacturer’s instructions, adding poppy seeds during the last minute of churning. Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until set.