Bernardette’s Cod Salad
After it was founded in 1893, the Noriega Hotel quickly became the center of Bakersfield, California’s lively Basque community. One of the regulars’ favorite dishes is a zingy cod salad, served on family-style along with other Basque delicacies like pickled tongue and rabbit stew.
- 10 oz. dry salt cod
- 3 medium sized potatoes, cleaned
- 1⁄3 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic (large), finely minced
- 6 sprigs parsley, finely minced
- In a large pot, cover cod with cold water and let sit for one hour. Drain, fill the pot again with fresh cold water, and let cod soak overnight.
- In the same pot, cook cod with water over medium heat (do not let the water boil). When the cod begins to separate, remove from heat. When completely cooled, remove cod from water, flake the cod, and set aside.
- Boil whole potatoes in a pot with water to cover for about 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife. Remove from heat, drain, peel, slice into ½-inch rounds. Place a layer of rounds in a wide, shallow serving dish and sprinkle with oil, vinegar, garlic and parsley. Place a layer of flaked cod over the potatoes and repeat layers until all the ingredients are used.