This recipe blends roasted brussels sprouts with a silky mornay sauce. A panko topping with lemon zest adds crunch and zing.
What You Will Need
- 1⁄2 cup panko-style bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. minced flat parsley
- 2 tsp. lemon zest, 1 lemon
- 1 1⁄2 oz. grated gruyere cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp. pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, rinsed, peeled and quartered
- 6 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 oz. grated parmesan
- Make the gratin topping: In a small mixing bowl, combine panko, butter, parsley, 1 1⁄2 tsp. lemon zest, 1 oz. gruyère, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss gently and set aside.
- Heat a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the shallots and bacon, stirring frequently until the bacon is rendered and the shallots begin to caramelize, about 7-9 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts and garlic and cook until they are just beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Make the Mornay sauce: In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour to make a roux and cook until it smells toasted and the color is a light brown, about 30 seconds. Add thyme and cream, stirring vigorously with a whisk to avoid lumps. Heat to a simmer, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and pour the sauce through a strainer. Return the sauce to the saucepan and, over very low heat, add remaining gruyère and parmesan, stirring until the cheese has melted. Season with 1⁄2 tsp. salt and 1⁄4 tsp. pepper.
- Pile the sprouts into a 10-inch oval gratin dish. Pour the Mornay sauce over the sprouts and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top. Cover loosely with a sheet of tin foil and bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and cook another 12-15 minutes until the top is nicely browned. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve warm.