Cardoons with Anchovy-Garlic Sauce
This dish was inspired by bagna cauda, the Piedmontese harvest classic.
Yield: serves 6
- 3 lb. cardoons
- 1 sliced lemon
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 12 oil-packed anchovy filets, chopped
- Wash cardoons; trim and cut. Parboil and drain as for deep-fried cardoons (add sliced lemon, if desired).
- Heat oil and butter in a small saucepan over low heat. When butter is melted, add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in anchovies, mash with a spoon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors blend, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon mixture over cardoons and serve immediately with crusty bread.