Cemita Poblana (Puebla-Style Sandwich)
The cemita is a regional Mexican favorite from the city of Puebla that is great made with veal cutlet.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 4 (1/4″) thick veal cutlets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 4 round rolls, split and toasted
- 2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 12 oz. queso blanco or mozzarella, grated
- 8 thin slices yellow onion
- 8 chipotle chiles in adobo, finely chopped, plus 3 tbsp. sauce from the can
- Place flour, eggs, and bread crumbs in three separate shallow dishes. Season veal with salt and pepper, and coat with flour, shaking off excess. Dip in eggs, then dredge in bread crumbs. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 12″ skillet over medium-high heat, and cook veal cutlets, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, about 6 minutes. Using tongs, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Place 1 veal cutlet on the bottom half of each roll and top with half an avocado, 3 oz. cheese, 2 slices onion, and 1⁄4 of the chipotle sauce. Cover with top bun.