We were inspired to make this fluffy omelette by a recipe in The Good Cook series Eggs and Cheese (Time-Life Books, 1980).
Yield: serves 1-2
- 3 eggs divided
- 1 Tbsp. cold butter, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated semi-hard cheese, (such as Carr Valley Cheese Gran Canaria)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat oven to 350°. Divide eggs, putting whites into a medium bowl and yolks into a small bowl. Add butter to egg yolks, season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper, mix together with a fork, and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with a whisk until medium-stiff peaks form. Fold egg-yolk mixture and cheese into egg whites and set aside.
- Melt butter in well-seasoned or nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Pour egg mixture into skillet and spread evenly in pan. Cook omelette, gently shaking skillet over heat occasionally, until bottom is golden, 3-4 minutes. Lift edge of omelette with a spatula and fold in half. Transfer skillet to oven and cook omelette until center is just set (omelette will continue to puff while baking), 3-4 minute. Serve immediately.