Souvlaki (the name comes from souvla, the Greek word for skewer) is a favorite dish served during Greek feasts and family gatherings. Lamb can also be substituted if you like.
- 3 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 (12") skewers
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- Tomatoes, cucumber, and onions, chopped
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and thread on eight 12″ skewers.
- In a shallow pan (large enough for skewers), mix fresh lemon juice, extra-virgin olive oil, and chopped fresh oregano. Season with salt, then add skewers, cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours. 3. On a very hot grill (or in a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat), cook chicken, basting frequently and turning occasionally, for 7–10 minutes. Sprinkle with salt. Serve in pita with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, and onions.