Cold Tripe Salad
This tripe salad uses the purest of ingredients-fresh tomatoes, onions, basil and a good quality olive oil.
Yield: serves 4
- 2 lb. blanched veal blanket tripe
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small white onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium ripe tomato, cored and chopped
- 6 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cups loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cups loosely packed parsley leaves, chopped
- 1⁄3 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Put the tripe into a large pot with a tight-fitting lid, cover with salted water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low to maintain a boil. Cover pot and continue to boil the tripe, adding water to pot as necessary, until it is very tender, 4–4 1⁄2 hours. Remove the tripe from the pot, discarding the cooking liquid. Lay the tripe out in a single layer on a sheet tray to let cool.
- Once the tripe is cool enough to handle, cut it into 1" × 2" strips and transfer to a large bowl. Add the onions, chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, basil, parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled thoroughly, about 1 1⁄2 hours.
- To serve, adjust seasonings, then spoon tripe salad into a large serving bowl. Serve with sliced crusty bread and red wine, if you like.