This over-the-top elaboration of fried wontons is an enduringly popular appetizer.
Yield: makes 24
- 4 oz. snow crab meat or other crab meat, picked over
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 3⁄4 tsp. A.1. Steak Sauce
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Peanut oil
- 24 square wonton skins
- Mix crab meat, cream cheese, garlic, and steak sauce together in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Pour oil into a medium pot to a depth of 2" and heat over medium heat until temperature registers 325° on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, put 1 of the wonton skins on a work surface with 1 of the corners pointing toward you. Put 1 tsp. of the filling in center of skin. Moisten both edges of skin farthest away from you with water, then fold skin over filling to form a triangle. Gently flatten filling and push out any air pockets, then press edges to seal. Moisten skin just above filling with a dab of water. Gather middle of flat edges on either side of filling toward moistened area of skin and pinch together, pressing side to skin just above filling. Repeat with remaining skins and filling.
- Deep-fry wontons in batches until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with tomato-based chile sauce and Chinese hot mustard, if you like.