Stored in an airtight container, this cake will keep for a week.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 3 cups “00” flour or pastry flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 18 Tbsp. (9 oz.) cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 3⁄4 cups blanched whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup shelled almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°. Sift flour and cornmeal together onto a smooth work surface. Shape mixture into a mound and make a well in the center. Put egg, butter, sugar, salt, and lemon zest into the well, then, using your hands and fingers, quickly work in flour mixture until dough is just combined and still crumbly. Gently mix in chopped almonds.
- Sprinkle dough onto a 10 1⁄4″ x 15″ jelly roll pan in an even layer about 1″ deep (refrain from packing dough down) Scatter whole almonds on top. Bake until golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to let cake cool. Break into pieces before serving.