Madeiran farmers used to make espetada by skewering the meat on bay laurel branches.
Yield: serves 4
- 4 lb. untrimmed aged sirloin beef
- 3 tbsp. sea salt, preferably Maldon
- 6-7 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 6 bay leaves, torn into pieces
- Preheat a charcoal grill.
- Trim all but a thin layer of fat from beef. Cut beef into 2" cubes and put into a bowl. Add salt, garlic, and bay leaves and rub into meat.
- Skewer meat onto 3-4 large metal skewers. Grill over medium-hot coals, turning skewers often, until browned all over, 10-12 minutes for rare. Serve skewers at the table, sliding meat off skewers as needed, and serve with warm bolo do caco ("tile" cakes), if you like.