This crispy potato galette, topped with lox and creme fraiche, has all the best parts of an everything bagel.
“Everything” Potato Galette with Lox and Crème Fraîche
Peppered with sesame and poppy seeds, this crispy potato galette, is topped with lox and caper-crème fraîche—all the best parts of an everything bagel.
Yield: serves 4
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp. minced chives
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 8 tbsp. clarified butter (See how to make clarified butter)
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- 1⁄4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Mix crème fraîche, chives, and capers in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Peel and grate potatoes using the large holes on a cheese grater or cut into matchsticks using a mandoline. Heat 4 tbsp. clarified butter in a 10″ nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Toss potatoes with seeds and salt and pepper; add to pan and stir to coat potatoes with butter. Using a spatula, gently press potatoes into a flat round, molding to fit skillet; cook, shaking skillet occasionally, until edges are golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Place a plate, turned upside down, over skillet and invert skillet with plate, allowing potato cake to fall onto plate; slide potato cake back into skillet. Pour remaining butter around edges of potato cake and continue cooking until potatoes are crisp on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and season with salt and pepper. Place smoked salmon and onion evenly over surface and cut into wedges. Place a dollop of the crème fraîche mixture on top of each wedge before serving.