This crispy potato galette, topped with lox and creme fraiche, has all the best parts of an everything bagel.
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp. minced chives
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 8 tbsp. clarified butter (See how to make clarified butter)
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 4 oz. smoked salmon
- 1⁄4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Mix crème fraîche, chives, and capers in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Peel and grate potatoes using the large holes on a cheese grater or cut into matchsticks using a mandoline. Heat 4 tbsp. clarified butter in a 10″ nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Toss potatoes with seeds and salt and pepper; add to pan and stir to coat potatoes with butter. Using a spatula, gently press potatoes into a flat round, molding to fit skillet; cook, shaking skillet occasionally, until edges are golden and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- Place a plate, turned upside down, over skillet and invert skillet with plate, allowing potato cake to fall onto plate; slide potato cake back into skillet. Pour remaining butter around edges of potato cake and continue cooking until potatoes are crisp on the bottom, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and season with salt and pepper. Place smoked salmon and onion evenly over surface and cut into wedges. Place a dollop of the crème fraîche mixture on top of each wedge before serving.